Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Angela Tincher signs multi-year contract with Racers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts
Press release from the Akron Racers website, dated June 9, 2008:

ANGELA TINCHER INKS MULTI-YEAR DEAL TO PITCH FOR THE RACERS
RACERS TO HONOR 2008 USA SOFTBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

AKRON, Ohio – The Racers signed the nation's premier pitcher, Angela Tincher, (Virginia Tech) to a multi-year contract, the first in Akron’s ten-year history. Tincher led the Hokies to the 2008 WCWS and lost a 19-strikeout performance in extra innings to the Florida Gators, the number one rank team in the country.

Tincher made national news two months ago when she became the first pitcher in 185 pre-Olympic games to beat the USA National Team (2-0). Not only did she beat them, she was one walk, away from a perfect game.

The Racers selected Tincher with their first pick in the 2008 NPF Draft. GM, Joey Arrietta made a last minute trade with the Rockford Thunder to move up from fifth to third in the first round to snag Tincher with the third pick overall in the draft.

Arrietta visited Virginia Tech last fall to get a look at Tincher and was immediately convinced that Tincher was indeed everything and more than what she had heard the past three years. “She is incredibly talented with a rare gift to pitch,” replied Arrietta. “I was prepared to do whatever it took to get her in a Racers uniform.”

Tincher is one of the most decorated softball players in NCAA history. The 2008 USA Softball Player of the Year, collected the Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award, the 2008 ACC Tournament MVP trophy, the ACC Pitcher of the Year Award, 2006-08 2007-2008 First-Team All-ACC, she was a finalist for the Sullivan Award and she has been nominated for the Honda Sports Award. A 2007-08 First Team All-American, 2008 First-Team All-Academic Team, she was a member of the 2008 WCWS All-Tournament Team and the list goes on.

Her 2008 statistics include an amazing 0.63 ERA, a 38-10 record with 679 strikeouts. Here 2,149 career strikeouts place her third overall on the NCAA leader board behind USA National Team member, Monica Abbott (2,440) and Olympic Gold Medalist, Cat Osterman (2,265).

Tincher arrives in town on Monday and will pitch the home opener on Wednesday, June 11, which has been designated “Angela Tincher Night.” The Racers will honor Tincher as the 2008 USA Softball Player of the Year with a commemorative poster. The Racers opponent will be the 2007 NPF defending champions, the Washington Glory.

The Racers won the NPF Title in 2005 and hope that Tincher will guide them to their second championship in 2008.

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

I'm getting nostalgic going through old Akron Racer posts. I forgot that Akron drafted Angela Ticher, a former Virginia Tech star and one of only 2 pitchers to ever defeat the 2008 USA Olympic National Team (Japanese legend Yukiko Ueno being the other).  The Racers also had Team USA super slugger Crystl Bustos play for them.  They had some good years!  It is so sad to see them gone.  I still cannot believe it! :(

NPF FAN

NPF FAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

The amount of talent that has been turned over or completely bypassed in the NPF over its history is staggering. Imagine the stats that could have been compiled by players like Tincher who only played a few years before retiring or players like Kaitlin Cochrane who was the #1 pick for Akron in 2009 who choose to not even play. 

NPF%20Graveyard_zpsw3afgxu2.jpg

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

To be honest the NPF knows ahead of time who is picking whom. Me thinks they will only draft players who have stated they will sign with them? A lot of very high quality players won't commit to play for the NPF for $5-$8K per summer. If I had a 'real' job offer waiting for me after graduation, I wouldn't be playing summer ball.  

Katie Cochrane didn't sign with the NPF because she signed with Team USA. Remember back then players didn't play in both leagues. If you were Team USA you kinda looked down at the NPF.  I remember back then when the NPF All-Stars played Team USA and Team USA beat the NPF pretty handily! 
​I look at the NPF Draft and I see so many inconsisties in the draft. There were a lot of players who should have been drafted that weren't. Heck, one could put together a quality team from players 'NOT" drafted that could play any team around on equal terms and win more often than not! Sadly, these players may not be heard from again as players?  Maybe the ASBA can pick (?) some of them up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users