Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Monica Abbott's K Factor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

softballrules

softballrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Does any one know if the "K Factor" that Monica Abbott advertises actually helps?

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
Here is a YouTube video I found on the K Factor, just in case any of you out there in Internet land don't know what it is:

The K Factor operates on the same principal as the Finch Windmill, but with elastic bands rather than a ball on a string that you rotate around a resistance track. Does this work? Yes! Both provide muscle development by adding resistance to the pitcher's windmill throwing motion, and they both will help a pitcher build muscle memory (the more times you do a certain motion the more your muscles grow to help you reproduce that motion over and over again).

Benefits of the K Factor versus the Finch Windmill

1. Unlike the Finch Windmill which has a ball attached to a string on a track, after attaching the resistance bands of the K Factor you can put a "loose" softball in your hand and throw it at the end of your windmill. You don't have the option to throw the ball with the Finch Windmill.

2. More convenient. The Finch Windmill must be attached to a wall to function (see picture below). The K Factor can be taken anywhere with relative ease because it's basically just a belt and a few elastic bands. You could probably even bring this to the field before practice or a game and warm up with it.

Posted Image

3. Cheaper. The Finch Windmill is a fairly complicated and bulky piece of machinery, and undoubtedly costs more than the K Factor.

Problems with the K Factor versus the Finch Windmill

1. While more convenient and cheaper, the K Factor probably won't last as long as the Finch Windmill. The K Factor uses elastic bands to function, but what if one breaks? At the very least you will need to write to the manufacturer and it could be months before you receive a replacement.

2. Flexibility of resistance. Pitchers come in all shapes, sizes and ability levels. The Finch Windmill uses a knob that can be used to dial in a precise level of resistance for every pitcher, and the resistance can be increased incrementally as the pitcher's strength increases. The K Factor relies on rubber bands that deliver a set amount of resistance, so what happens if the perfect resistance level for a particular pitcher is in-between two K Factor elastic bands? What happens if the pitcher outgrows the highest level of elastic band? These problems may hurt the utility of the K Factor.

Both the K Factor and the Finch Windmill operate on the same proven principals. But with the lower price and added convenience, I would probably choose Monica Abbott's K Factor. Of course, Jennie Finch is both an NCAA champion and an Olympic Gold Medalist...and Monica Abbott can't say that!

sballer4life

sballer4life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
A commercial for the K Factor aired during the final game of the Women's College World Series. Monica Abbott wasn't mentioned, so perhaps she lost her endorsement contract for this product....

The device looked fairly easy to use in the commercial—elastic bands provide resistance during your windmill motion, strengthening your arms and improving your wrist snap.

softballrules

softballrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
I bought one for my daughter and my impression is that it is a waste of money.

It's awkward and doesn't really give much beneficial resistance.

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
The K Factor is no longer available for sale on Monica Abbott's website and not available for purchase anywhere else on the Internet. Looks like the K Factor has been dumped.

melval9201

melval9201

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
The K Factor is definitely still out there. I have seen three new commercials in the last year. One has three new pro athletes as well...and an NFL Super Bowler...a pro volleyball player and a baseball pitcher...I think there is also a new product out there called "The K Factor Plus" which is for various athletes...not just pitchers. So it must be doing pretty well to have all that airtime.

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
I just did a Google search and easily found the K Factor website. They appear to be very much in business, but Monica Abbott is missing from the site. It looks like they dropped her as a paid spokesperson. I bet Monica's price tag is not cheap, and maybe they were not moving enough units to justify keeping her on the payroll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users