Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pitcher Re-entry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Phil

Phil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a limit to the number of times a pitcher can leave the pitching position to play another position and then re-enter as pitcher? For example, let's say I bring my 2nd basemen in to pitch in the 2nd inning, and the starting pitcher moves to play 2nd. In the 3rd inning, I want to bring my original pitcher in to pitch and move the relief pitcher back to 2nd. Can I continue to do this an unlimited number of times, since no one has actually left the game? I cannot find this in any of the rule books (ASA, NSA, USSSA, etc.).

BretMan

BretMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
The ASA rule is 6-9 (Fastpitch):

"There is no limitation as to the number of times a player can return to the pitching position as long as the player is legally in the game."

For high school/NFHS softball, the rule is 3-3-2 (and it is different):

"A pitcher may be removed as a pitcher and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return does not violate either the substitution or charged conference rule."

I don't recall either NSA or USSSA. Check the section of their books either for "Substitutions" or "Pitching" and you should find an answer.

Phil

Phil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the response. I have read through the NSA, USSSA, and AFA rules and really don't see it spelled out like it is in the ASA rulebook. We have a tournament sanctioned by USSSA next weekend. If anyone knows how this applies to USSSA, please let me know.

BretMan

BretMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Found this in the USSSA on-line rule book (Rule 5-5-B Substitutes):

"A player may be removed as a pitcher and returned as a pitcher only once per inning.
Provided the return as a pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution, or
charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of injury or being incapacitated, is
replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied; or if the pitcher’s substitute
requires more warm-up throws than permitted, the pitcher shall not return to the
game as a pitcher."

Rule is the same as High School/NFHS rule.

All I found in the NSA book was the note under Rule 6-15 that notes a player may be removed from the pitching position and return later. Since there is no limit or restrictions listed, I must assume that their rule is enforced exactly the same as ASA (no limit to how often or how many times you can return).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users