Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Catcher's gear

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

pinchrunner

pinchrunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Catchers wear more protective equipment than any other softball player. What would I need to buy if I was interested in taking up the position? And how expensive is it?

hatterscatcher6

hatterscatcher6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
you will have to buy a chest protecter, shin guards, knee savers (if you would like but you don't have to), a catcher's helmet, and a good solid catcher's glove...

the expensive part...well i have been catching for like 5 years so i have gone through 3 sets of catcher's gear but have bought 6 helmets...and it really depends on what gear you buy...so it can get expensive...but you can buy used gear and then just buy a new helmet...

pinchrunner

pinchrunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Do you recommend wearing a throat guard?

hatterscatcher6

hatterscatcher6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no not really i dont wear one but i have also been hit in the throat...
you can start off with wearing one and then after a couple of weeks or months just take it off...
it sometimes can get in the way of your chest protector...thats why i dont wear it...
i do think that you might want to wear sunglasses so you dont get things in your eyes...

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
if your catchers gear budget was enough to get mostly used stuff but one nice piece of equipment, what should you buy? You seemed to indicate before that the helmet is the piece of equipment to upgrade before any others—why? And why isn't it the glove or some other piece of equipment that you would want to spend the most money on?

hatterscatcher6

hatterscatcher6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i throw my helmet when i throw the ball or a play is coming my way...
but you may not...
so helmets seem to unsnap in the back and if it does that a couple of times then the helmelt is done for you and will need a new one...that has happened to me alot...
but it may not happen to you...
my catchers gloves have lasted a while...i have gone though only three gloves and so far thats why...

GunSlinger201

GunSlinger201

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My daughter has been a catcher for over 3 years now, and one of the biggest things to consider is comfort and weight of the equipment. The chest protector needs to be narrow enough when they have thier hands together, such as making a tag, so it doesn't bunch up in the middle. She likes the Mizuno gear because it has a slimmer fit at the shoulders so this doesn't happen, and also it is light weight gear. Really she just needs to try on different brands and see what she is most comfortable in, because catching in a 90+ degree day is hard enough with the right gear.

robertfrost

robertfrost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Each different person has a different fit and style they like to use, so I would recommend trying some different things on. If you want to get a quick look at what might be best I would go to baseball bargains, they're descriptions are great, so you might not even have to try anything on. I would definitely check them out if I were you. Here's a link to their website.

https://www.baseballbargains.com/product-category/catchers-gear/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users