Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Jennie to Compete on 'Dancing with the Stars'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

finch.jpg

News article from the NFCA website, posted 4/13/18:

Two-Time Olympian Jennie Finch Contestant on ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars'

OKLAHOMA CITY – One of the most recognized athletes in the sport of softball, two-time Olympian Jennie Finch will be competing on the upcoming season of Dancing with the Stars, ABC announced today.  Finch joins a cast of nine other athletes, ranging from Olympians to professional athletes, who will compete to win the coveted mirrorball trophy.

Finch was named to the USA Softball Women's National Team in 2001 and competed for the red, white and blue through her retirement in 2010. At the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece, Finch was 2-0 in the circle en route to a gold medal finish for the US. At the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, Finch compiled another 2-0 performance as the U.S. claimed silver at the sport's last Olympic Games.  In addition to her Olympic accolades, Finch is a four-time World Cup of Softball gold medalist, three-time World Champion and two-time Pan American Games gold medalist as a member of Team USA.

In addition to her career highlights, Finch has also appeared on episodes of Pros vs. Joes, The Real Housewives of Orange County and was a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice in 2008. In 2004, she was named one of People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People." Finch is married to former professional baseball player Casey Daigle and the couple have three children – Ace, Diesel, and Paisley. Finch holds Jennie Finch Softball Camps across the U.S. and has a softball academy at Diamond Nation in Flemington, N.J.

Dancing with the Stars, which enters its 26th season, kicks off with each of the 10 athletes being paired up with a pro dancer, then follows their preparation and hard work as they hit the dance floor for the most competitive season ever. Each week these athletes will leave their comfort zones and endure hours of grueling rehearsals to master new dance styles and technical choreography to perform a dance. A panel of ballroom experts will judge the competitive dances and along with viewer votes, those scores will determine who advances in the competition. In the end, only one athlete will rise above the rest to be crowned champion and win the coveted mirrorball trophy.

Catch the season premiere of Dancing with the Stars on April 30 at 8 PM ET on ABC. For more information on Dancing with the Stars, or to find a list of contestants competing, visit http://abc.go.com/sh...-with-the-stars.

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Awesome!  I remember that Jennie appeared on The Apprentice a few years ago but she wasn't very good.  She was one of the first contestants out and I heard a rumor that her charity dropped her shortly there after out of embarrassment.  Ok the last part of that wasn't true.  But I digress...

Athletes tend to do pretty well on Dancing with the Stars.  Dancing is a very intense athletic activity, and athletes tend to pick up the movements better and improve faster than non athletes.  There have been several athlete winners including former hall of fame Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith, Olympic gold medalist Apollo Anton Ohno, Indy race car driver Helio Castroneves, Olympic skater Kristi Yamaguchi, Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson, former NFL wide receiver Hines Ward, former NFL wide receiver Donald Driver, and former NFL running back Rashad Jennings.

So out of 25 seasons there has been 8 professional or Olympic athlete winners.  I like those odds for our girl Jennie! The season starts April 30

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

It's great for Jennie Finch that she will be back in the spotlight. She's pretty tall, so I hope they pair her with one of the taller male dancers! 

I have some ambivalence about this news. On one hand, it's great that Jennie Finch is still relevant enough to be on the show, and she will undoubtedly bring some attention to softball. On the other hand, Jennie has been retired for many years, and yet she is STILL the most recognizable softball player. To me, this is a bit of a problem - there should be more recognizable softball stars! Jennie can't be the face of the game forever! 

It should be fun watching Jennie. I haven't tuned into the show since the first season, but Jennie will have me watching!  

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Every sport has only a handful of legends, but those legends carry the sport wherever they are and not matter what they do.  There is no shame in Jennie Finch being a softball legend and carrying the sport even though she has been retired for many years now.

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Definitely no shame in Jennie carrying the sport as long as she can! I'm just saying that she shouldn't be the ONLY legend with her face/name out there.

I wonder if USA Softball is going to work on getting more names out there once the Olympics start gearing up. NBC always does a good job of highlighting the athletes, so hopefully there will be room for softball stars to get back into the spotlight. 

Who do you all think will be the next "face of softball"? Will anyone raise to the fame of Jennie Finch? Monica Abbott and her "million dollar arm" is a good story, but does she have the media presence that Jennie has? Hopefully someone emerges soon! 

If I had to pick two names, I would say either Kelly Barnhill or Delaney Gourley. Barnhill has a good chance of being on the 2020 Olympic team, and probably Gourley as well. These ladies were really fun to watch in the WCWS and could easily be the next "faces" of USA Softball.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users