Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Washington Still #1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Washington has been the #1-ranked team in the land since the 2nd week of the season.  Things got a little dicey for the Huskes during a road trip to Pac-12-rival Arizona State when Washington lost two games of a three-game set, but since then the Huskies have gone on to sweep series at Arizona, Stanford, and Utah. 

In the most recent polls on NCAA.com, Washington snagged 29 of the 31 first-place votes.  It continues to be the #1-team in the land by a wide margin!

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Washington lost a series at Arizona State, but Arizona State is a very tough team this year.  I just checked and Arizona State is ranked #7 in the nation. 

I wish there was a Arizona State vs Washington series at Washington this year, but there is not!  We will need to wait until the Pac-12 tournament in mid-May to see which team is the best in the Pac-12!

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Don't forget #3 UCLA! I think it will have something to say about who win's the Pac-12!

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

The Huskies have really stepped up! Not only did they sweep those three series, but Freshman Gabbie Plain threw a perfect game! 

I am looking forward to the Huskies' three-game set with UCLA down in LA in a few weeks. I am beyond excited to see how the Huskies do in the WCWS. 

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

UCLA has taken the first 2 of 3 games against the Washington Huskies and have taken over the first place slot in the Pac 12.  Washington drops to 3 behind UCLA and Oregon.  UCLA defeated Washington 3-0 in game 1 and 3-2 in game 2. 

Sophomore Rachel Garcia put on an amazing performance from the circle in game 1.  She pitched a 10 strike out complete game shut out.  Freshman Aaliyah Jordan provided the majority of the Bruins' offense with 2 hits including a solo home run.  Aaliyah Jordan was also the hero in game 2 with a walk off home run in the bottom of the 7th to break a 2-2 tie and take the game and the series from #1 Washington.

UCLA only has 2 Pac 12 series remaining-- one at Cal and home versus Arizona State. Washington has a series at home against Oregon and away against Oregon State.  These last two series will determine #1 in the Pac 12 and could also cement the #1 team in the NCAA.

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Oregon just beat Oklahoma and ended their 30 game win streak.  Washington is going to have a tough time re-claiming the #1 slot in the Pac 12 or in the rankings with their schedule against a red hot and really good Oregon squad.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Me thinks the new rankings will be something like this: 

#1 UCLA

#2 Oregon

#3 Washington

#4 Oklahoma

#5 Florida  

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I knew it would be tough for Washington to hold on to that #1 spot! I think it may be a good thing for Washington to have a little "hardship" before the college World Series begins. As they say "heavy is the head that wears the crown", by which I mean that had Washington breezed through the Pac-12 schedule they may have gone into the series with some immense pressure to win it all. Now that they've "fallen to earth" a bit they can have a clearer head going into the series. They know they have what it takes to be the best, but they also have some "struggle" under their belt.  It would be great to win the Pac-12, but either way they are going to get into the tourney, and I think it's better to come in with a little chip on their shoulder rather than a target on their back! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users