Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Aussie vs Shougang—Who Wins?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

The biggest benefit of adding a 2nd international team is that it could bring in some competition for the Shougang Eagles.  The Eagles were dominated in nearly every game they played last season.  And while it is possible I will be surprised at the quality of play from the Aussies, I think it more likely the Spirit and Eagles will be more or less on par with each other.

Who do you think will win the season series?  Aussie Spirit or Shougang Eagles?

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Spartan...not even close.

Australia is and has been a top-five world team for years. It along with Japan, Canada and the US are front-string world teams consistently landing in the top five at Worlds and PanAm competition.

Although China has no doubt improved it, will still not be at a level of the national teams noted above, nor at the level of the Bandits or the Pride.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Methinks the Spirit will contend for the Cowles Cup, and the Eagles will battle with the Comets for last place! 

Predicted order of final finish:

#1- Pride

#2- Spirit

#3- Bandits

#4- Eagles

#5- Comets 

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

I agree with your suggested outcome.

FaspitchPapa

FaspitchPapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Though the Pride can never seem to get it together in the playoffs, it runs away with the regular season every year.  It would be fun to see someone give them a little competition.  The Australian players on the Bandits did OK last year, but I doubt a full team of Australian national players is going to seriously compete with the Pride this season.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

At one time the Yankees were unbeatable, before they stopped over-bidding for the best players. The Pride has done that. The other teams can't afford to compete with them on money! That being said, the Spirit just might give then a run for their money!  I'll be rooting for them!

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

If the Spirit wins the Cowles Cup it's all over for the NPF. In fact if they end up in the finals for the Cup its bad news for the NPF.

Liken it to this: if say the Toronto Argos or Calgary Stampeders played the Philadelphia Eagles and beat them...or even had a spectacular showing...the NFL would have egg on its face. The NFL would of course survive the embarrassment and move on as they are well entrenched as a league with massive sponsorships and fanbase.

The NPF has none of that. The NPF, with an Aussie win, would have a champion with no US/Canadian players for fans in North America to relate to, no players to help activate sponsorship, trade shows, clinics, etc etc as they reside half a world away, and now so does the Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users