Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Changing of the Guard?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Just posted on Twitter: 

Behind the Plate Softball‏ @BTPSoftball 19m19 minutes ago

A couple sources out of Florida have said USSSA’s CEO Don DeDonatis has stepped down and his son Don DeDonatis III will take over. USSSA has not confirmed publicly yet.

​I vote to make Don the new NPF Commissioner. I think maybe only he can save it.

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Yes!  Though there is no chance Don DeDonatis would do it unless (1) there was only a very small time commitment, or (2) there was something in it for Team USSSA softball.  DeDonatis would be an amazing commissioner, but only if it made sense for him.  I doubt he would be interested in doing it purely to advance pro softball.

NPF FAN

NPF FAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

What's the old line by the Who, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I'm sure he'll have things running the same as his dad did in terms of competitiveness and firepower.

NPF%20Graveyard_zpsw3afgxu2.jpg

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

He is the defacto commissioner behind the scenes. Literally every move is made has him pulling the strings, and the current commissioner dancing to his tune.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

If this is true, and I have no real reason not to believe it, it would in fact answer a lot of questions I have had about the NPF. It would make sense for Don to take over the NPF, and make it work to his and everyone's advantage. Use it to help the USSSA grow more. I can see so many good things available to him if he aligned the USSSA with the NPF!  Even renaming the league the USSSA Pro League & adding a men's division. Heck, he could bury the ASA & get his biggest wish of all: taking over the US National Olympic Program.

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

USSSA already has full-member status with WBSC...which no doubt did not go over well with ASA.

That said, he is a bully. He likes to push people's buttons and is not what I would call a person who has anyone's interest at heart but his own.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

USSSA already has full-member status with WBSC...which no doubt did not go over well with ASA.

I know this, he is talking about having control over the USA National Team. Pick & choose which team is better. Team USA is the GEM of all softball!  We are at a point where the professional teams from around the globe are becoming as good as the US, and in Japan's case maybe even better. It sends its pro All-Stars to play, while we still send our amateurs. If anyone thinks that is good enough, look at basketball history for the answer! 

With a full-time pro league, he who controls the top players, and he could do like the NBA does now. He could sign all the top players, and if you are paying them a full-time salary, you get to decide (like NHL) if they play for anyone else!

If the US loses the gold medal in 2020, people are not going to be happy! Who are they going to blame? That's one reason (I feel) to invite NPF players to try out and join Team USA. It cuts down on criticism, and shares the blame if they lose!

In reality, look at the number of NPF players who were NOT picked who in my mind should have been! I've said it before and will say it again: Team USA should be the Pro All-Star Team! 

I'm telling you, politics is not just in DC, it is played big time here in softball! 

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

FYI: on June 30, 2016, the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) of America/USA Softball announced it would be changing its organizational and trade name to "USA Softball," effective on January 1, 2017. 

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

I feel this is a bad thing for the NPF as a whole. Bandits send Jaquish to Pride for cash considerations. USSSA Pride acquires 4 time All-American and 2017 All-NPF member Savhanna Jaquish from Chicago Bandits. The Pride already have Golden Glove winner Chelsea Goodacre on roster.

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

I feel this is a bad thing for the NPF as a whole. Bandits send Jaquish to Pride for cash considerations. USSSA Pride acquires 4 time All-American and 2017 All-NPF member Savhanna Jaquish from Chicago Bandits. The Pride already have Golden Glove winner Chelsea Goodacre on roster.

If I recall there were numerous trades for cash right after the Bandits were handed over to the City. Certainly looked like they were replenishing the $50k they spent as quickly as possible.

Seems they are at it again.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Sorry, but think the NPF is a dying league? Kempf & DeDonatis have run it into the ground! KARMA? Greed will do it every time!

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Sorry, but think the NPF is a dying league? Kempf & DeDonatis have run it into the ground! KARMA? Greed will do it every time!

Common sense business and franchising practices seem to have gone by the wayside.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Just thinking, where does all the money that the NPF Office brings in go? League sponsors have to pay (I read) a minimum of $25K+ each and the teams pay $175K each? That's well over $1 million per year. 

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Just thinking, where does all the money that the NPF Office brings in go? League sponsors have to pay (I read) a minimum of $25K+ each and the teams pay $175K each? That's well over $1 million per year. 

KCS...there is some divergence of opinions on this and the situation is fluid and constantly changing.

1. The "New Franchise" buy in fee was $225,000 two seasons ago. It was to rise to $275,000 this past season and $325,000 this year. At least that was the official schedule. It would certainly appear that has been modified with the push for "National Team" participation.
  2. New Franchisee was required to post a "bond" ...read Cash.... which was to be held for two years. It was anything from $150,000 to the highest reported of $300,000. Although it was to be held in trust against team default, the term "in trust" was certainly not the case. It was paid directly to the league. There was nothing protecting the team from a league default.
  3. Annual renewal fee as of last season was $50,000 per team. However the Charge were required to pay $75,000...which of course they didn't as they chose to exit. So it would seem the renewal was fluid and at the whim of the league.
  4. Corporate sponsorship was stated as "in-kind" and never cash. Uniforms, balls, etc etc...were provided under the franchise system. The apparel manufacturer 2XU was a sponsor last year but no longer of the list this year. The league had no casual wear/off field supplier and 2XU was to fill that void. Obviously they though different and no doubt because 3 of the 5 teams will be wearing their own apparel.
  5. There was a flat "no" to any sponsorship revenue share because, so the story goes, there was no revenue due to the "in-kind" nature of the sponsorship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users