Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Vote for Baseball/Softball in 2024 Olympics!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Softball fans all over the world were delighted to hear that softball would be included in the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo, but the battle to include baseball and softball in the games long term is far from over...

Tokyo has a very long and rich baseball and softball history, so it's not a major surprise that the sports were added to the roster for the 2020 Olympic games.  But the 2024 Olympics are moving to France, where the baseball and softball tradition is no where near as strong. 

Today a poster on popular social media site called Reddit.com posted a link to a French newspaper's website (the site is in French) where you can vote for your choice of sport to be included in the 2024 Paris games.  The choices are baseball (which would include softball), Billiard, Boules (not sure what this is), Bowling, Escalade (not sure what this is either), esports, karate, roller, skateboard, ski nautique, squash, or surf. 

And this is no French newspaper.  This is L'Equipe, a nationwide daily newspaper dedicated to sports coverage.  So while it's hard to put much stock in an internet poll, every little bit helps!

Go here and vote to include baseball/softball in the 2014 Olympics!

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

We all need to start NOW working on getting the Paris Olympics to include Baseball/Softball in the program! All softball people need to step up if we want to make this happen! While France does have a National Softball Team, softball is not that big an event there! 

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

I just made my vote!  I must say this is the first time I have ever voted in a poll in French put on by a French newspaper...

I hope this newspaper has enough sway and captures enough eyeballs to maybe make a difference when it comes time to vote in the Olympic events for 2020.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Pass it on, give Paris something to believe in.........................Go here and vote to include baseball/softball in the 2014 Olympics!

FaspitchPapa

FaspitchPapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I voted too!  The only problem is the site doesn't give any results. It would be great to see what the actual readers of the website and people in France are thinking about what sports they want to see in the 2024 Olympics.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

True, but we still need to get the vote out! Flood that web site with votes! Baseball/Softball is not that big a sport in France! Only we the people can make it happen!

https://www.lequipe....ris-2024/853433

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Something to read: 

http://olympics.nbcs...-2024-softball/

Now is the time to start pushing!

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

I think the popularity and competition level of the 2020 games is going to be the deciding factor.  If there is enough interest and enough parity and enough TV ratings then baseball/softball will be added for 2024.

Luckily I think baseball/softball has a good chance because at this point it truly is an international game.  Especially when you count baseball and softball as one sport.  The Caribbean countries LOVE baseball as their #1 sport and there is strong interest in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan.  Softball is popular in US, Canada, Japan, Australia, and some South American countries.  That is a lot of territory covered by countries with strong interest in baseball and softball.

So I like our chances!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users