Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Charge Has Folded

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Wow. What a blistering critique from Mr. Pisano! Looking at his Facebook page it seems that he is heavily involved with the Charge in some way - maybe a financial backer or other front-office position. I couldn't find too much about him after a cursory Google search. Anyways, his post brings out some of the criticisms that a lot of us make on this board. Namely, the marketing, or lack thereof, the league does. The league inability to build long-term franchises, and the inability for the NPF to co-exist with the Olympics. I wonder what he meant by a league that has "burnt so many bridges".  

I think Pisano is dead right on one issue: the NPF needs new leadership. It the league's shortcomings are so evident to outsiders, then something needs to change. Professional women's soccer has gone through several iterations, but they've finally landed on something that works. There's really no reason that softball can't do the same. It's time for a change at the top!

Pisano was the Charge Director of Marketing

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Then the question is: Just who owns the NPF? It used to be that when teams joined the NPF they had to buy in with a $100,000.00 fee payable in 4 equal payments to join!  Now teams are Franchises, paying what ever fee's the ownership requires! 

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Then the question is: Just who owns the NPF? It used to be that when teams joined the NPF they had to buy in with a $100,000.00 fee payable in 4 equal payments to join!  Now teams are Franchises, paying what ever fee's the ownership requires! 

Although this may have changed it is the team owners that "own" the league. That may or may not still be the case.

The advertised franchise fee for entry is well in excess of the number you noted. In addition a 2 year security deposit is required. In the examples of both the Charge and Rebellion it would appear both held out long enough to have the deposit returned....but that is speculation.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

NPF Fees as far as I can find out!

Franchise Fees for NPF: 

Franchise Assurance;       Post with NPF $300,000 for 5 years.

Purchase Price/Franchise Fee;      $175,000 per Franchise

Annual League Maintenance  Fee;      $25,000

Team Operating Cost(estimated);     $375,000 to $600,000

A team would need to average well over 1,000(?) paid fans per game for it's 25 home games(?) and see the remainder of needed income in local advertising/sponsorships to raise that minimum estimated cost of $375,000? Not sure, but think the average attendance is around 500 per game and that includes team ticket give a way's? A team only gets about $10/$12 for every ticket sold, including concessions? Games only last around 2 hours so people don't buy as much concessions? Plus add to above the "extra Costs" the NPF may/may not require a franchise to pay? League Promotions/NPFTV/National advertisings/Etc.. Now with the NPF TV a team may not be able to raise the necessary funds/sponsors to get on TV very often? Even online TV Productions can be 'pricey'? 

As much as I would  "Love" to own a Professional Softball team, I'm just not sure the NPF would be the way to go? 

https://issuu.com/s2...eting_piece-am4

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

post truncated

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

NPF Fees as far as I can find out!

Franchise Fees for NPF: 

Franchise Assurance;       Post with NPF $300,000 for 5 years.

Purchase Price/Franchise Fee;      $175,000 per Franchise

Annual League Maintenance  Fee;      $25,000

Team Operating Cost(estimated);     $375,000 to $600,000

A team would need to average well over 1,000(?) paid fans per game for it's 25 home games(?) and see the remainder of needed income in local advertising/sponsorships to raise that minimum estimated cost of $375,000? Not sure, but think the average attendance is around 500 per game and that includes team ticket give a way's? A team only gets about $10/$12 for every ticket sold, including concessions? Games only last around 2 hours so people don't buy as much concessions? Plus add to above the "extra Costs" the NPF may/may not require a franchise to pay? League Promotions/NPFTV/National advertisings/Etc.. Now with the NPF TV a team may not be able to raise the necessary funds/sponsors to get on TV very often? Even online TV Productions can be 'pricey'? 

As much as I would  "Love" to own a Professional Softball team, I'm just not sure the NPF would be the way to go? 

https://issuu.com/s2...eting_piece-am4

KCsoftball......the 2017 franchise fee was set at $275,000 whether or not that stuck is unknown. The security deposit was stated as 2 years....but again that may have changed and the annual renewal is $50,000 as demonstrated by the payment from the Town of Rosemont when they took over the Bandits.

As for the reported operating costs, those are dreamy numbers and can't be considered accurate in any way. It would be impossible to operate a team for much less than $1 million given salaries, rent, transportation, housing etc etc.

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Of the six teams in existence at this time last year two no longer exist and were not offered for sale...they basically went under. A third had its owner and main sponsor withdraw support and is now continuing under the ownership of the Town where the ball field is. That transfer of ownership was basically a payment of the annual renewal fee to the league ($50,000). So in the end it appeared that team was not sold...but transferred.

What does this all mean and why is it important? The value of a "franchise" is ultimately the price you can get for it if you sell it. That of course means that the three noted Franchises were basically worthless. The cost of a franchise should be a in keeping with the relative value. For instance you can buy a Subway Franchise...depending on your location...for less than $50,000....then outfit your store, inventory and you're in business probably for about $250k all in....and you are probably cash flow positive the day you open.

Considering this, the fee charged for a NPF franchise is out of whack with the market value....which as demonstrated is zero.

Further, the league now has two governmental owners...the Town of Rosemont and China. A third entity is an international governing body with millions of members.  These team ownerships have quite different motivations in terms of their business model than do the two remaining privately owned franchises.

Finally, as noted by many the league appears to be struggling. There are no doubt lots of factors, but in the end its the financial one that matters most. Are there ways to correct this? I believe so, but it remains unclear if the current status quo is being challenged in any meaningful way.

I would like to note that the two teams noted in the first...ceased operations....to be fair whether or not they "went under" is not known.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1339 posts

The NPF league office is run out of someone's home in Tenn.. The staff is not very big: 1 Commissioner, 1 V.P., 1 Supervisor of Officials, 2 NPFTV people, 2 game announcers, and 3 interns. So costs can't be that high. Unless salaries are high! 

Some how the NPF needs to get out and visit every American (foreign is OK also) Corporation and 'BEG" for them so sponsor it's teams. Stop relying on it's teams to do the work for them! The US deserves a full time 8 team league! I believe the Country is ready for it!

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

The Charge was the first new team to enter the league in many years in 2015 after a several year new team drought.  It is so sad to see them go after just 1 year.

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

The Charge was the first new team to enter the league in many years in 2015 after a several year new team drought.  It is so sad to see them go after just 1 year.

To be fair to the Charge Catfan.....they got 2 years in. One as Dallas Charge and the most recent year as Texas Charge.

It would be interesting to understand what circumstances led to them pulling the plug......

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

To be fair to the Charge Catfan.....they got 2 years in. One as Dallas Charge and the most recent year as Texas Charge.

It would be interesting to understand what circumstances led to them pulling the plug......

I stand corrected ...it was 2 seasons as Dallas and one as Texas....3 all totaled

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Wow. What a blistering critique from Mr. Pisano! Looking at his Facebook page it seems that he is heavily involved with the Charge in some way - maybe a financial backer or other front-office position. I couldn't find too much about him after a cursory Google search. Anyways, his post brings out some of the criticisms that a lot of us make on this board. Namely, the marketing, or lack thereof, the league does. The league inability to build long-term franchises, and the inability for the NPF to co-exist with the Olympics. I wonder what he meant by a league that has "burnt so many bridges".  

I think Pisano is dead right on one issue: the NPF needs new leadership. It the league's shortcomings are so evident to outsiders, then something needs to change. Professional women's soccer has gone through several iterations, but they've finally landed on something that works. There's really no reason that softball can't do the same. It's time for a change at the top!

Pisano was the Charge Director of Marketing

Very well spoken and knowledgeable man...I enjoyed speaking to him.

FaspitchPapa

FaspitchPapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Not only are the fees to enter the league difficult, but the cost of stocking your team with enough players to be competitive is rough too!  So many of the new teams have sputtered out with sub .500 seasons.  It is hard to remember a team not named Chicago Bandits and USSSA Pride with a winning record over the past 10 years.   And if you cannot attain competitiveness it makes it even harder to establish a foothold in their city. 

The Scrapyard Dawgs have made a massive investment by not only starting a new franchise but also signing a highest price free agent in the NPF with signing Monica Abbott.  I sincerely hope their efforts and their dollars are rewarded with a successful team that lasts for many years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users