Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Historically Bad Season for Beijing Eagles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

The 2017 season results are in for the first international team in NPF history: the Beijing Eagles.  Unfortunately those results aren't just bad, they're historically bad. 

Now I don't want to be too hard on the Eagles.  The players are in a new country, this is their first year, they played every game as an away game, and they play against top notch NPF competition, but I thought the Chinese players would put up a bit more of a fight than this... The Beijing Eagles finished the season 3-44.  The team scored 59 runs and gave up 324.  Eagles average game score was 1 to 7.  Yikes.  The team recorded 208 hits for a 4 per game average.  And they gave up 472 hits or 10 per game.  By any measure the Eagles were not awful and did not belong on the same field as an NPF team.

Do you think the Eagles will be back for the 2018 season?

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

They are working to get better and it looks like they will return to the NPF for the 2918 season.  http://profastpitch.com/news/news/?article_id=2963 

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

The Eagles did have a terrible season, but they can only go up from here! The linked article said they were training at historic Dodgertown in Vero Beach, Florida. This is such a cool opportunity for the team. The Dodgers left Vero a few years ago and moved over the the Cactus League in Arizona, leaving fans in the area wanting for a team to watch. I wonder if this training was open to the public and if it drew any spectators. Either way, I hope the Eagles had a great training session and were able to take some time out to enjoy the famed "Dodger Dogs".  YUMMY! 

I hope the Eagles can get it together a little bit and become a more competitive team. Their head coach, Teresa Wilson, has a ton of experience, so they are in good hands at least. If they can have even mildly effective pitching they could stay in some games. I'll be rooting for them to improve for sure! 

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Sure the coach has a lot of experience... but does she speak Mandarin?  How easy is it to impart that wisdom when you don't speak the same language?  This team is a disgrace and it will be so for the foreseeable future.  These Beijing players are way out of their league (pun definitely intended)

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

I bet they have a translator. If not, I think a lot of wisdom can still be imparted just through demonstration. Give them a chance! It's hard for the athletes to be so far from home and without even a "home away from home" to call their own. It's probably really hard not to have their own facilities, etc. Where did the players even hang their hats between games? I am pulling for them to make some improvements next season. 

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

Don't sell the Chinese short! They don't care about short term, they are looking at 2020! They had a few bright(?) spots on roster. I look for improvement this season!

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

When you put it that way... The Beijing Eagles do have one bright spot on the season: outfielder Jia Chen. 

Chen was by far the best hitter on the team this year.  She ended the 2017 season with a .296 average, 29 hits, 5 runs, and 7 RBI.  Jia Chen proved that it was possible for an import from across the Pacific to "hang with the big boys" in the NPF.  She would be a solid member of any NPF team based on her performance in 2017.  And if she can do it, so can anyone else on the team!

And @KCSoftball you're right-- even if Beijing never wins a game over the next 2 years they will still have accomplished their goal of getting their players as prepared as possible for the 2020 games.

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

The 2017 season results are in for the first international team in NPF history: the Beijing Eagles.  Unfortunately those results aren't just bad, they're historically bad. 

Do you think the Eagles will be back for the 2018 season?

Catfan....not only are they coming back....but they are adding a "B" team!

NPF FAN

NPF FAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

They're back, and they've brought their JV team with them..  :rolleyes:

NPF%20Graveyard_zpsw3afgxu2.jpg

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

I see why the NPF schedule is so screwed up, the Eagles are entered in a tournament in Irvine, Ca on July 15-19. and heading for Worlds in Aug. Oh what one will do for a few bucks.............................

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I see why the NPF schedule is so screwed up, the Eagles are entered in a tournament in Irvine, Ca on July 15-19. and heading for Worlds in Aug. Oh what one will do for a few bucks.............................

KCS...that was a known factor the day they said they would be here for 2018! Same thing goes for Australia....they have a tourney elsewhere and then the Worlds in Japan.

At least in the years the NHL players participated at the Olympics the league shut down for a 10 day window (the NHL did not allow players to participate this past February which I believe was a HUGE mistake).

In the end the screwed up schedule is just one more issue with the way the NPF is being run.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

Moving on up to the good life,--------------China is ranked #12 this year, Australia is ranked #4.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users