Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Correlation of Hit Batters to Win %

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3846 posts

Intentionally hitting batters has a special place among the unwritten rules of professional baseball.  If you slide too hard into the 2nd base, if you showboat after a big hit, or if you accidentally "plunk" the other team's best player, the other team's pitcher is guaranteed to retaliate by intentionally hitting you with a pitch. 

I cannot even imagine how much it must hurt to get hit with a 90-mph fastball, but unwritten rules in professional baseball regarding when to intentionally hit opposing players have been around for decades and are not going anywhere.  And they serve a valuable purpose: they keep players in line and help enforce the MLB players' code of conduct.

These unwritten rules regarding intentionally hitting batters don't really exist in softball.  Perhaps it's because softball doesn't have the same issues with showboating or sliding too hard, or perhaps it's because in a typically low scoring "small ball"-type game, a team simply cannot afford to give up a baserunner—even if it means losing an enforcement tool.

But what if I told you plunking batters has no effect on win percentage?  Maybe then the "softball sorority" could rethink its stance on intentionally hitting batters, maybe even incorporate it into play.  Hit batters certainly add a new and exciting element to baseball.  Why shouldn't it be part of softball too?

To determine the effect hitting batters has on win percentage, let's go to the data!  Below is a correlation table of 2017 NCAA softball statistics pitting hit batters versus winning percentage.

0I7r5kx.png

A perfect correlation is scored as a 1.0.  If there is no correlation it is a 0.0.  A 0.5 correlation is in the middle.  As you can see from the data above, there is a meager 0.05 correlation between these data sets, ie, virtually no correlation between the number of hit batters and the team's win percentage.  So hitting a lot of batters has no impact on the number of games you win.

So softball is not so much of a small ball game that you cannot sacrifice a baserunner to enforce a players' code of conduct.  If more players knew that plunking a batter won't affect their win percentage, maybe they would be more likely to do it if warranted.

It's time softball uncovered the benefits of enforcing a players' code by intentionally hitting more batters!  The data supports this!

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Very interesting.  Just last week I saw on ESPN that Red Sox star 2nd basemen Dustin Pedroia was upset that Orioles star 3rd baseman Manny Machado slid into him too hard with his spikes up at 2nd base and injured Dustin Pedroia last Friday.  2 games later Red Sox pitcher Matt Barnes thew at Manny Machado intentionally.  The pitcher was ejected for the intentional throw.  This is an example of baseball's unwritten rules in action.  If you slide too hard at 2nd base you will get thrown at!  And my God getting hit by a professional baseball pitcher must hurt a LOT!!

I did a Google search for "do softball players ever intentionally hit batters" and the only article that came up was from an incident at Penn State in 2015 where a pitcher intentionally hit a batter on her own team at practice for her allegedly snitching on her for violating the team's alcohol policy.  That pitcher was charged with assault by the police!  This just goes to show you that beaning batters is not part of the culture of softball. 

But players should be allowed to self police at least to a certain extent and hitting batters is an effective way to get that done.  And if it doesn't have any correlation to win percentage then why not make it happen!  Hit'em up!

FaspitchPapa

FaspitchPapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Batters get hit in baseball because it hurts to get hit with a baseball.  The baseball travels very fast and it is very small.  Getting hurt with a baseball hurts so much that it is effective punishment.  The threat of the pain of an intentional beaning is a deterrent against breaking the unwritten rules of baseball. 

But a softball is bigger.  There is more surface area, so that force is spread across a bigger surface area and does not hurt as bad.  Plus the softball is not thrown as fast as a baseball.  The bigger surface area and lower velocity means that it does not hurt nearly as much to be hit with a softball than with a baseball. 

The pain inflicted by beaning a batter in softball versus beaning a batter in baseball is not enough of a threat to be a deterrent in breaking any "unwritten rules."

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Let me assure you getting hit by a "SOFT" ball I'll argue the pain is very much the same! I've been on the end of both! I know you've seen your daughters thigh the day after getting hit, not a pretty sight! That being said, I think that the girls play TOO NICE with each other. I always tried to get my players to "Bury" the other team. If I could get a 10 run lead in the 1st all the better, make it a 15 run lead! Maybe once a year I would like to see a 'baseball' type brawl in softball? How many times does anyone get hurt in one of these fights?

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

FastpitchPapa - I am sure it hurts like crazy to get hit with a softball! It's clear that plunking isn't a self-policing strategy in softball, but I am wondering if there are any "unwritten rules" that are enforced by players? I've never played softball competitively, so I really have no idea. In a lot of team sports there are unwritten rules, especially when opposing teams go after "star" players a little too hard. What happens in softball? Surely there are times when someone slides a little too hard or celebrates a little too loudly? Is the only retribution a mocking chant or jeer from the dugout? 

I think the lack of "plunking" has a lot to do with how girls are expected to behave. Boys are encouraged to "take care of business" and correct someone when they step out of line. Girls are encouraged to "turn the other cheek" and be the "bigger person", which is why a lot of conflict between girls becomes very passive aggressive, which can't really manifest on the softball diamond.

I had to laugh a bit about the Penn State incident. As they say - snitches get stitches! haha (not that I endorse hurting another person!!!) I can just imagine the Penn State player thinking "tell on  me, will ya? well b----, you're gonna get it at practice.." You have to shake your head...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users