Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bullpen sessions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

coach2709

coach2709

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey guys I'm an assistant softball coach for the high school I teach and while I feel pretty solid in the fielding and hitting aspects the one area I have virtually no knowledge of is pitching.  My background is baseball so I understand the mechanics associated with pitching overhand and I feel / hope that me understanding that will mean I can pick up softball fairly quickly.  

Right now my question isn't about mechanics but about preseason bullpens to get ready for the season.  We started this past Monday and we have a scrimmage Saturday the 25th then play for real the next Tuesday.  How many pitches per day / per two days etc... should our pitchers throw to build up to?  With my baseball pitchers I like to do ranges - for example early in the season I'll tell my guys to throw 35 to 45 pitches because if they are having a good day we can stretch it out some OR if they are having a bad day then we can get work in and shut it down.  Also, in these sessions we want to accomplish goals - been struggling with change up then we will throw it maybe 7 - 9 times focusing on mechanics and getting around 75 - 80% effort on velocity.  Then simulate pitching to batters and working attack plans to get them out.

Does anyone have anything written down they could email me so I could basically steal what works for you?  I would greatly appreciate the help because we have a really good pitcher who can play next level and I don't want to be a reason she is held back.  I want to help her develop into a better player so she can continue her career when she graduates.  But I also want to use it to help build a pitching staff so we can have depth in case she's having a bad day or we get ahead and pull her to help keep her fresh for tougher teams.

Please email anything you have to coachball2709@gmail.com

Thank you very much and if you have other ideas or information to share please do.  I'm a sponge and want to do what's best for our girls develop into better players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users