Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

$70k per year to play in Japan?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3853 posts

My grandmother tells me that she has a friend whose granddaughter is former Alabama great and national champion pitcher Jackie Traina.  I have not verified this personally but my Grandma has not been known to lie to me and believe she is telling the truth.

Anyway, she said that Jackie Train currently pitches for a pro team in Japan and is very happy.  She said the team pays her $70,000 per year plus room and board and travel expenses while she is in Japan.

That sure sounds like a sweet deal!  No chance the NPF pays that high.  Can anyone verify this?

CatOsterFan

CatOsterFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts

That is a lot of dough!!  Whenever I see pictures of softball played in Japan I always see packed stadiums.  If there is consistent fan support over in Japan $70,000 per year is very possible.  Plus, if the player truly is Jackie Traina, an elite NCAA pitcher who led Alabama to a national title, she is probably commanding one of the higher salaries in the league and it may not be representative of the average league salary. 

So while $70,000 seems high compared to an average NPF salary I bet it is true.  You go Jackie!  Get it girl!

redsoxjbf

redsoxjbf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

NPF is a fraction of this amount. fraction. But I do know the Japan number is accurate plus they get incentives for performance (strikeouts, homeruns, RBIs, etc)  What a concept!

MammaZord

MammaZord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Woah! 70k Get it girl. I know the league has close relationships with corporate sponsors, so it makes sense that they can pay good salaries. I also really cool if they do have performance incentives. 

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

$70K is not an unreasonable amount for a full time player, Japan is a 'full time league'. There is no reason this couldn't be done in America. If the new league can find corporate sponsors and a TV contract, why not? A league has got to be open to new ideas on how things are done! Why not 'sell' naming rights to a team? Let the sponsor design the teams logo, with their name in it (like the USSSA Pride does)?  Teams must be able to go out in their region and get as many 'sponsors' as they can? 

I would love to see the New League bring in the "Rosemont Bandits" next season! Maybe, even the USSSA Pride would be a good fit!  Think of the possibilities:  Scrap Yard, Pride, Bandits, Revolution, Charge, and maybe bring back the Racers, all in one league again!  Heck, I might be willing to put a team in with that group!  :wub:  

In-the-stands

In-the-stands

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

$70K is not an unreasonable amount for a full time player, Japan is a 'full time league'. There is no reason this couldn't be done in America. If the new league can find corporate sponsors and a TV contract, why not? A league has got to be open to new ideas on how things are done! Why not 'sell' naming rights to a team? Let the sponsor design the teams logo, with their name in it (like the USSSA Pride does)?  Teams must be able to go out in their region and get as many 'sponsors' as they can? 

I would love to see the New League bring in the "Rosemont Bandits" next season! Maybe, even the USSSA Pride would be a good fit!  Think of the possibilities:  Scrap Yard, Pride, Bandits, Revolution, Charge, and maybe bring back the Racers, all in one league again!  Heck, I might be willing to put a team in with that group!  :wub:

KCS...nice thought but it will never happen under the NPF banner. There has just been too much damage done.

What I do see is that happening under a new Pro League that is not tainted by the issues both now and past with the NPF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users