Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fastest softball pitch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

fastpitchfan

fastpitchfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
Does anyone know what the world speed record is for a woman's windmill softball pitch? Are there radar guns measuring the speed of pitches at collegiate softball games? I don't remember seeing any at NPF games, although I think that would make a great addition to the sport.

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts
There isn’t much about softball in the Guinness Book of World Records. As reported by Softball.org, the Guinness record for the fastest softball pitch is 69.0 mph (111 km per hour) set by Australian Zara Mee on June 29, 2005. A USA Today.com article on the Athens 2004 Olympics states that Jennie Finch “tosses a ball 71 miles per hour.” According to Nuttyaboutsports.com the fastest softball pitch clocked at the 2000 Olympic Games in Atlanta was 73.2 mph.

I agree, radar guns would add a lot of spectator interest to softball games.

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts
From the Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games:

One pitch at Atlanta was clocked at 118 kilometres per hour (73.3 mph). Considering the pitcher stands 13.1 metres (43 feet) from the batter, and the hardest-throwing baseball pitchers throw 160 kilometres per hour (99.4 mph) from 18.4 metres (60 feet), softball batters have essentially the same time to react as their baseball counterparts.

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts
Posted Image

A new television program Sport Science measures the speed of Jennie Finch’s fastball, and compares the force of her pitch to that of a 95-mph baseball pitch. The show also uses multiple self-synchronizing cameras to analyze Jennie’s pitching mechanics. The program airs Sundays at 9 PM on the Fox Sports Network. It’s not clear which specific episodes will include the Jennie Finch segments.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball
On my radar gun I have shot male pitchers at 78 mph and women at 73 mph. I don't know the record, if there even is one.

kspielman

kspielman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
What kind of radar gun are you using?

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball
It's a Bushnell Velocity Speed Gun. Does the job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users