Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Comets in 2014?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts
This franchise has moved every year for the past several years.  What started as the Tennessee Diamonds became the Florida Diamonds and then the Carolina Diamonds and later became the NY/NJ Comets.  We usually hear news about where the team will play and what its name will be in the spring.

Do you think this franchise be in the same place with the same name for 2014?

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball
I sure hope so! The team needs to find a permanent home to play its games, preferably a softball stadium. History has proven that expansion teams take time to develop.

Hopefully the Comets will survive and pick up some good players from the draft. But the way the NPF draft is run, maybe not? The object of having a draft is for the lesser teams to pick the best players available, thus improving their chances of winning games. Sorry, but the reality of it is that the draft doesn't work that way. There is no way in a real draft that Keilani wouldn't have been the first draft pick! Instead she drops to third and ends up on the Pride???

This is yet another reason why a league (any league) needs to be full-time to succeed! In a real draft, Keilani would have been the first pick and if the Comets couldn't sign her they could then work out a trade for her. That way if the Pride wanted her, the Comets would have gotten an extra player or
draft choices.

A team can have more that one home field to play in, like the Comets, if done correctly and promoted heavily. If I acquired a franchise, say in Texas, I would schedule one series in, say, Austin/Round Rock, then the next week in San Antonio, then back to Austin/Round Rock. Schedule games in Corpus Christi and maybe even Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston. If the scheduling could be worked out, maybe split the series? It's very hard to get fans to attend five games in five days at same place. Splitting a series might be the answer.

The Comets could do the same if they wanted. It would take promotion, promotion, promotion! It could be done successfully, if dome right! Looking on Googlethere are tons of places where the Comets could play their games in NY/NJ. If I had the team I would play some games out on Long Island. Hofstra is a good location to start. Maybe check out Queens College, or St Johns? Most colleges/universities now have decent playing fields for softball. Check them out. Move the team around until you find a permanent "home" for it.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball

Comets are no more, bring on the-------

631375595d08ad12bda345f8926335ad.400.jpg

http://profastpitch.com/

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

At first I thought the team was in Washington DC, but I see now it is Washington, PA which is in western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.  There has never been an NPF team close to that location so I sincerely hope it is a successful experiment.  Pittsburgh is a big sports town so hopefully they latch on to the game.

yardstick6

yardstick6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

As a father whose daughter plays travel, school, and town softball, I think it is a great loss that a great metropolitan area like ours couldn't support a women's pro softball team. Was it because they couldn't agree on a venue for the team, or lack of attendance at the games that moved the Comets on? My daughter was truly impressed with the skill and level of play displayed by the players. Rather than basing the team in the suburbs, perhaps a stadium in the city would have been better. I feel this area can support a professional franchise and that it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users