Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

pelvic protecters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

softball_chic_12

softball_chic_12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
most female catchers that i know don't wear pelvic protecters. should this be a rule? is it already? if metal cleats are allowed will it become a rule? do any coaches tell their catchers to wear a pelvic protecter?

amanda_cake

amanda_cake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I don't know anything about this being a rule. However, I do know that pelvic protectors can be a good idea for catchers. We've actually had a catcher get hit in her pelvic bone and bruise that general area. You can break that bone and I've been told by a nurse that there is nothing you can do for it. We've suggested that she started wearing a pelvic protector after that incident, but she has not. I'm not sure how easily they can be found around here, honestly.
<3 Amanda Kate

softball_chic_12

softball_chic_12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I know my coaches wanted me to wear one and after explaining that not only will it hurt, it can be deadly (i don't know if that is true), but i would not be able to have children in the future....and it would just make everything easier if i do wear one. i have found one that i do enjoy, but go figure, that brand is no longer made. i reccomend to all catchers to wear one. Coaches, make your catcher wear one. Parents, make your daughter wear one. If she every does come to that point, she will be so thankful it was there.

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts
There are so many pieces of protective equipment on the market these days, and even though each one can potentially be very important and can save you a lot of pain at some point you need to cut it off. For catchers especially, you could probably buy a piece of equipment to cover every part of your body, but then you'll spend a lot and barely be able to move. Where do you draw the line?

amanda_cake

amanda_cake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

There are so many pieces of protective equipment on the market these days, and even though each one can potentially be very important and can save you a lot of pain at some point you need to cut it off. For catchers especially, you could probably buy a piece of equipment to cover every part of your body, but then you'll spend a lot and barely be able to move. Where do you draw the line?

Good point. I was shocked at all of the things to protect you--there are heart guards that they make kids wear in tball (I'm still trying to understand that one), the things to protect your arms and legs while batting, etc.

A good example is mouth guards. Sure, we've spent thousands of dollars on braces so I'll have straight teeth and I probably should wear a mouth guard, however I'm an outfielder. I'm a vocal leader on my team. I'm not willing to have one of those things in my mouth to interfere with the directions, encouragements, etc. that I'm trying to communicate. So, you take the risk. Life is full of risks.
<3 Amanda Kate

softball_chic_12

softball_chic_12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
You make a good point Spartan, but i'm not quite sure that you understand the point of the pelvic protector. the brand that i found is like underwear that goes under the sliding shorts. there is a pouch to put a plastic piece in. it is to protect the female's lower private parts. it is like a cup that guys wear, but made for girls. i'm sure that if i asked a male catcher if he wore a cup he would reply along the lines of "Are you kidding?! Of course I do! I'd be dumb not to!" This is kind of along those lines only it's for females. Amanda, i agree with you and the heart guard for t-ball. I still don't quite get that one yet either..... There are lots of equipment out there to protect every body part. But I view the pelvic protector as most crucial.

amanda_cake

amanda_cake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

You make a good point Spartan, but i'm not quite sure that you understand the point of the pelvic protector. the brand that i found is like underwear that goes under the sliding shorts. there is a pouch to put a plastic piece in. it is to protect the female's lower private parts. it is like a cup that guys wear, but made for girls. i'm sure that if i asked a male catcher if he wore a cup he would reply along the lines of "Are you kidding?! Of course I do! I'd be dumb not to!" This is kind of along those lines only it's for females. Amanda, i agree with you and the heart guard for t-ball. I still don't quite get that one yet either..... There are lots of equipment out there to protect every body part. But I view the pelvic protector as most crucial.

True, it could protect against injuries but how often do you hear about pelvic bone injuries with catchers? I've heard of one catcher that I previously mentioned getting her pelvic bone bruised, but other than that I've never heard of anything. Naturally, you should do what you want but I'm not sure the risk is high enough to make me want to wear one. Just like I've seen and heard about people loosing teeth playing softball, but I'm not willing to deal with a mouth guard or face mask.
<3 Amanda Kate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users