Welcome to Fastpitch Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Florida softball field needs a makeover

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
The Clearwater Central Catholic High School softball team needs your help. Their softball field is currently unplayable, forcing them to bus to a municipal park just to practice. Their field needs a fence, dirt for the infield, and dugouts. If anyone knows of funding opportunities, please call Gordon McCloskey at 727-235-2598 or 727-239-5481. Gordon is one of the coaches and has a daughter on the team.

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
I would just lobby the fed for a bailout! Yuk yuk yuk.

jlurban

jlurban

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts
Here are some photos of the Marauders' current softball facility:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
What happened to the field? Hurricane? Neglect?

Is this at a high school? If so then I would suggest trying to get a school referendum on the ballot in time for the November election. Otherwise I would try pleading your case to one of the local news stations asking for funding help.

KCSoftball

KCSoftball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1341 posts
  • Interests:Fastpitch Softball and more Fastpitch Softball
Send us some pictures of the boys' baseball field. I'd be willing to bet it is in good shape! Some people still live in the 1950's where the girls didn't need anything but a plot of grass to play on, if that. It is a private school, so I guess they don't know what Title 9 is?

amanda_cake

amanda_cake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
*sighs* I thought my field at school was bad. I hope they've managed to fix it up somehow.

At my school, the boys get a new load of dirt and whatnot every year. We haven't had new dirt in forever. Our football team is known for getting new jerseys in the middle of the season. Who gets their hand-me-downs? Baseball, then who gets them? Girls softball, of course. It's...just so ugh. I'm sick of it. Varsity is getting new uniforms this year, though they had to sell a ton of stuff last year to get them. JV will get their old uniforms, which aren't too bad in comparison to what we have now. We have pictures of a championship basketball team in the hallway from the 70's and they have on the same uniforms we are still using.

It's lovely going to a poor school.
<3 Amanda Kate

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
In theory, the Title 9 law forces public (not private) schools to spend equal amounts of money on boys and girls sports. Do you, amanda_cake, think your school is not following this law?

SpartanIlliniCub

SpartanIlliniCub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3808 posts
I just noticed above that the school in the pictures above is Clearwater Central Catholic High School. This is a private school and the federal or state government cannot force them to pay equal amounts for boys and girls sports. Without laws requiring schools to spend equal amounts under laws such as title 9, it is highly unlikely that schools will provide equal funding because the boys sports, in general, sell more tickets (boys sports like football are among the school's biggest expenses too, but that is an issue for another post).

I am still curious as to whether amanda_cake goes to a public or private school. Can you tell us a_c?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users